Friday, October 9, 2009

Republicans, Democrats and Tiger Woods

I woke up cranky today. In and of itself that is not news. I wake up cranky most days. Waking up cranky and flipping on the cable news channels to hear of the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize to President Obama is like pouring gasoline on a fire. As is my wont I fired up Facebook and made a few disparaging remarks and then lit up Twitter with a few more gems, especially after I heard the game of golf had been approved as an Olympic event commencing in 2016. More on the Olympics and golf later if I'm not too tired and drunk on Jim Beam and if I really think anyone has hung in and read that far. After a couple of "Tweets" I made some breakfast and took my two pit bulls out for their morning walk and game of dog hockey. Upon returning home and scoping the Blackberry out I found that two people, both total strangers, had found my remarks regarding the president sufficiently incendiary to prompt them to post replies, chastising me for my position and use of language that they felt was offensive when applied to their hero, President Barack Obama, whom I am fond of referring to as "Obamass, because, well, honestly that's what I think he is a good deal of the time. All three of these people, though, made it a point of calling me an "extreme right wing Republican", and frankly folks, that pissed me off. I thought name calling and generalizing was what "extreme right wing Republicans" did, not thoughtful, intelligent and enlightened supporters of our President. Notice that I did not refer to these people as anything other than supporters of the president. I did not make a snap judgement about them and assign them a label and button hole them into a certain group based on a few short statements because I have no freaking idea what or who they are. Do NOT LABEL ME.

For the record. I can't stand George W. Bush. I despise Dick (was there EVER a more aptly named man?)Cheney. I was inclined to support John McCain last year in spite of, not because of, him naming Sarah "NRA Barbie" Palin as his running mate. Full disclosure: As a red blooded American male pig I find Sarah to be incredibly hot! As a politician and the potential holder of the postion "one heartbeat away from the Presidency" I found her to be a joke. I would have actually voted for the Tina Fey version of Palin over the real one. I think Cheney, Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz, the triumverate leading the charge of the neo-cons in modern day DC should be arrested and charged as war criminals, as profiteers, as murderers for the loss of life in our US Armed Forces and for being stupid in public. I don't think there's nearly as much difference between a Republican and a Democrat as people think there is, especially once they have been elected to high state or national office. I pretty much despise ALL of them equally as much as the other. I think the war in Afghanistan was necessary and right. I think the war in Iraq was unnecessary and wrong. I honor, no revere, the service and sacrifice of the men and women in our armed forces who did not question the mission but went forth and did was asked of them regardless of my opinion or anyone else's of the decisions of the men(predominantly) who sent them to either or both theaters of operations. Those of you who know me know that I was a police officer for most of my adult career. I have openly and publicy endorsed the concept of the police shooting more offenders and beating people who truly deserve it while resisting arrest but I insist, no I demand, that the police play by the rules, be held to a higher standard of conduct than other citizens and I vehemently support the Bill of Rights and the concept that what I do in my house is my business and shame on you if you show up without a properly prepared and legitimate search warrant. I am a "law and order" guy so I endorse the death penalty, right? WRONG. I think the death penalty, as it is presently administered in this country is a disgrace. Poor people get executed, not moneyed or connected people. Taking upwards of 10 years to execute an offender is, to me, akin to waiting a month to punish your child after you catch him/her pilfering Chips Ahoy from the cookie jar. I support the broad term "gay rights". Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transgendered is too much to type, so I'll use the generic term. Sue me if you don't like it. If two people are in love and are truly committed to each other I think they should have the right to marry. What the hell do I care? I think they should be able to have a say in legal and health care matters for their partner. I do not EVER want to hear about a GLBT person assaulted or harmed because of his her or ??? sexual orientation but at the same time I refuse to support "hate crime" legislation being expanded to include members of that group. I do not support assigning special victim status to people who manage to pigeon hole themselves into a specific group or class of people because I believe assault is assault and murder is murder. I endorse capitalism. If you can build a better mousetrap, market it, sell it and make a billion dollars I say more power to you but I believe if you do make that billion dollars you should pay at least the same per centage of your earnings in taxes as the guy who gets up every day and goes to work at your mousetrap company. Its not like that now - you know it and I know it. The deck is stacked against you if your are not a big money person. The state legislatures and the Congress have perverted the tax codes and the rules to allow big money, big companies, big business to make more. "It takes money to make money" has NEVER been truer in our country and I guess that's where this is headed.

I don't like Barack Obama. I think the day he was elected was a bad day for America. Is it because he's black? Lately its been popular in the media to say anyone who does not approve of him or questions his judgement or decisions is racist because he's black. I know he has a dark complexion and his hair appears to be similar to that of most persons of African descent but wait a minute. Last I heard Obama was HALF WHITE! So if the people who are against him are racist for doing so are they just half racist? Why is he the first "black president"? Why isn't he the first "dual racial" president? I have yet to hear a black person refer to Obama as so. They seem to want to completely disregard the fact that the man's mother was a white woman and he was raised by his white grandparents. What he is really doesn't count unless you are racist!!! I don't like Obama because I think he is bullshit. I refuse to believe, in my heart of hearts, that Obama is anything but a snake oil selling politician, no better or worse than 99.9 per cent of all the other snake oil selling politicians who have managed to get elected and are now running the country (into the ground). Obama was elected, largely on the strength of overwhelming turnout by younger people and African Americans who admittedly voted for him ONLY FOR THE COLOR OF HIS SKIN. Its a fact, people. Its a fact. Ask an African American. I know the reasons and can accept the reasons but please, just ADMIT IT! Consider this: A person who had reached the legal voting age of 18 by last November's presidential election was 10 years old when George W. was elected. As these young people came of age all they had as a politcal example was W and his ilk. To a young person living through 8 years of W and his bullshit and the war and terrorism and everything else that's gone on ANYBODY but Bush was a good choice, especially when the political process views issues and honesty as "an inconvenient truth" and is able to use spin and TV commercials and Saturday Night Live and The Daily Show as legitimate sources of political information. Michael Moore, who I think is an incredibly intelligent and gifted man, makes movies condemning white middle aged men who have too much money. Just about every bad thing in our lives in the past 25 years or so has been blamed on white middle aged men. We all know that is not true. White middle aged men are only responsible for about 90 per cent of all the bad things in our lives! Michael Moore is a white middle aged man who is a certified multi millionaire! His latest film excoriates the American system of capitalism that Moore has used to make millions and millions of dollars. He owns five houses and a Manhattan condo and when questioned about the hypocrisy says, "I own a house. I have to live somewhere". He is everything he rails against and is being celebrated by liberal people while he deposits another million in his accounts! Come on, people. Open your eyes! I couldn't imagine a person between the ages of 18 and 30 NOT voting for Obama. My problem is that its just like the Wizard Of Oz. Its all smoke and mirrors. Obama may turn out to be the greatest president the country has ever seen, and frankly, I hope it works out that way but when you see younger people interviewed on TV and they say they are so thrilled he was awarded the Nobel Prize because of "his ideas and his personna" and "because he's really smart" and "because he's bringing us the change we need" (these are all actual quotes heard today on both cable and broadcast news programs, folks, I swear its true) and "because he's African American and he understands us" and numerous other senseless, inane, assinine answers that have NOTHING to do with his actual running of the country! For Pete's sake (who the hell is Pete, anyway?) the guy's only been on the job for 9 months, how much can he have accomplished already? My biggest problem with him? The whole government propping up businesses, that, because of the way people running them ran them into the ground and should have been allowed to fail as a consequence and his blatant, bold faced 180 degree about face on the whole situation in Afghanistan and his refusal to take the advice of the people HE assigned to give him the story....while our young people continue to die there. My bottom line is this: No one. NO ONE. Gets elected President Of The United States Of America who has not already sold his soul to the devil by making deals (BOTH parties do it) with the big money interests who pull all the strings behind the scenes. Call it a conspiracy theory, call it what you will, but if you honestly believe there is more than "talking points" that make up the difference between a Republican and a Democrat once he attains high state and then national office I just think you're wrong. Maybe I'm wrong and you're right. Who knows? I just believe, with all my heart, that Barack Obama doesn't give a shivering shit about the plight of the average, every day, middle class American, be they black, white or whatever any more than George W. Bush, Bill Clinton, George H.W. Bush, Ronald Reagan, Jimmy Carter, Gerald Ford, Richard Nixon.....you get my point....did. The only difference is what they say in the TV commercials. "Change We Can Believe In" is the biggest pile of steaming, stinking bullshit sold to the American Sheeple in the past 50 years! If Obama actually does ever manage to change anything for the betterment of the average American I'll be the first to give him his props. But until then I'll continue to call him out when I feel its right, not because he's Dem. or Rep., black or white, left or right, conservative or liberal or what ever!

Golf? In the Olympics? Come on, now, seriously. Several outlets who supposedly have the ability to garner the information needed to make these pronouncements pronounced that Tiger Woods will make over ONE BILLION DOLLARS from playing golf and all the assorted endorsements, winnings and what ever. A billion dollars. In one year, folks. One year. One guy. Probably more than that next year. Phil Mickelson: upwards of half a billion. Hell the poorest guy on the PGA tour last year probably made several million. Although the ladies playing pro golf don't make nearly the money the men do, the top players on the LPGA tour are all multi millionaires. The Olympics lost the whole amateur thing years ago and we've been treated to NBA stars and NHL stars and I suppose its natural the pro tour golfers wanted in on it, but really, come on. They took softball out. Although a few of the ladies who played USA Softball were able to garner some endorsements and such (Jenny Finch, Cat Osterman) most of the competitors in the Olympics are really never going to become household names. They truly do compete for the love of their sport of choice and for the chance to represent their country. Do you honestly, for one milli second, think Tiger Woods or Michelle Wie are going to be out there for the glory of the good old U S of A? How many millions of dollars is it worth for Nike to be "the official golf equipment supplier to the US Olympic Team"? Hmmmm....money. Now there's a familiar theme.

BTW - dog hockey is played by going to the city recreation center on Academy Road and using the outdoor street hockey court. The court is only accessible by two doors which can be closed, allowing the two dogs to run free without worry of them taking a powder to chase a poodle. A pair of "Kong" brand nearly indestructable rubber balls can then be thrown for the aforementioned mutts to chase the balls, and themselves, to their hearts content while I laugh at their antics. Its good exercise for them and they love it!

Thanks, as always, for taking the time to read my ramblings. That's the View From The Mountain! What do you think??
William J. "Mountain Bill (don't you dare label me) Paupst

Full disclosure: I was in no way, shape or form compensated for my endorsement of the KONG brand of dog toys, although Sofie (my beloved mentally challenged shelter rescued pit bull terrier) was given a milk bone by the girl behind the cash register at PetCo when we bought the KONG balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment